Sunday, August 28, 2016

The Rest of the Sweet Potato Story

Many of my readers found my story about Nash Produce of some interest.  Some posed the question, “How do you get them back out of the trailer.

When delivering to most large food processors around the country they usually have a large ramp onto which one backs the trailer then disconnects and pulls the tractor ahead out of the way.  Then the ramp is tilted up with huge hydraulic rams, gradually dumping the contents out into a big hopper from where a conveyor belt whisks them into the plant.


In the case of this load of sweet potatoes, however, things were a little different.  Also the delivery was a pretty good example of how a truckers day usually goes.

Since I picked up the load in North Carolina on a Friday, normal driving time would put me at the delivery point in Ontario the next day.  Such was not to be however, as this customer was closed on the weekend and I had to cool my heels until Monday morning.  I was on their doorstep dark and early but that too did me no good.

It was almost noon by the time I was able to back the trailer into a dock and they proceeded to unload the potatoes one bucket full at a time with a skid steer loader.  This took over an hour and of course made quite a mess in the trailer which then required a wash out. They were quite cooperative in this matter, and directed me to another dock for the wash out.

Long story short, it was around 3:00 in the afternoon before I was finally able to leave that location.  They were not rude nor necessarily unfriendly but just like most customers I see every day, not too concerned about the hours of time I had to spend there without income.  I only get paid when the wheels are turning.

Anyway it wasn’t till about 6 AM the following day when I finally got a reload and headed back toward the east coast.  Keep in mind for the past week I was suffering with a toothache and needed to get home for a dentist appointment on Wednesday afternoon.  I could add more details of unpleasantness but then that would really make me look like a Grumpy Old Trucker.

No comments:

Post a Comment