Friday, August 26, 2016

A Message From Mrs. Grumpy

Hi I’m Marilyn and I am the wife of the Grumpy Old Trucker – strange that he’d choose this name for his blog, as he is truly a sweetheart, the love of my life…

Being a truckers wife hasn’t always been easy. Raising three sons with Dad only home now and then. But somehow we managed, simply because Bill and I have a very good relationship, which is vital when your husband is a trucker.


In the early years the only communication we had, was the 9pm phone calls. He, usually standing at a pay phone, often freezing his butt off, or hanging onto the booth during high winds, or huddling by the phone during a rain storm….Then we advanced to the cell phone, and what an improvement that was. Nowadays we use email when data service is available, sharing with each other whats going on in our daily lives…

I was blessed from 1995-1997 to be a part of his life on the road, 24/7, and really had my eyes opened to what life on the road is really like. For example: – the demands put on the trucker to meet pick-up and delivery deadlines. Often being only a short distance from home, but headed in the opposite direction because the load just had to go.

Winter driving conditions was another adjustment I had to learn to deal with, something I never thought much about while in the comforts of our home. Then there were mechanical breakdowns and flat tires. Long waits on the shoulder of the road for roadside assistance, sometimes being towed to the nearest shop for repairs. The city traffic was also a nightmare experience for me, especially going through Hartford, Connecticut. To this day I cringe just thinking of it. Cars zipping in front of us, changing lanes without warning, pulling in front of us and oh so close to wearing our bumper. Of course going through Montreal or any other city was no better.

It didn’t take me long to realize that a truckers day on the road can be tough at times. It’s not simply sitting behind the wheel driving and seeing the countryside. I have much more understanding, support and respect for all the truckers out there. I would still be on the road with the Grumpy Old Trucker if it weren’t for my medical problems. To this day we share a lot of wonderful memories, have met many nice folks on our travels, and were able to have quality time together, which I shall always treasure.

In closing I would like to share with you a few other things I learned from being a trucker‘s spouse…

1) It’s impossible to make plans, so when my trucker is home we make the best of the time we have together.

2) Most truckers will be away from home and family for extended periods of time. My advice…. accept it…be there for them, as he/she too wants just as badly to be home with you. The need for miles which equals a pay check often comes first.

3) Many truckers don’t get three decent meals a day on the road, as they would if they were home. Appointment times or poor driving conditions for example, interfere with meal plans, so grabbing fast foods and eating while driving , often becomes a necessity…

4)The trucker experiences a lot of wear and tear on the old body…. irregular meal hours, lack of regular set hours for sleeping, driving even at times when fighting the flu for example feeling miserable, but has to get the load delivered on time…whereas if he/she was home they would be getting lots of liquids, rest, and TLC…

All of the above can be very stressful for the trucker on long -haul, which can sometimes result in them being depressed or totally burned out. If away from family for weeks on end, they too experience loneliness just like the spouse left at home.

Do you have questions you’ve always wanted to ask that trucker up there in the big rig? Well, here’s your chance to get the answers you’ve been wondering about. I’m sure my grumpy old trucker would gladly share what he knows…Have a great day !

No comments:

Post a Comment