Tuesday, August 30, 2016

People Gotta Eat

While it seems the trucking industry is getting hit as hard as any other with the current economic down turn, I’m happy to say it seems I am in the right part of the industry for a change. That in itself amazes me as I have a habit of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.


I was just reading in another blog, http://truckingblog.blogspot.com/, that the writer believes the trucking industry just may be recession proof.  I don’t personally believe that, but it’s obvious that one facet of the trucking industry is more recession proof than most.

CNN is announcing large reductions in freight and the cutbacks that many trucking firms are making however, for once it seems my current employment in the reefer business is a good place to be. Food hauling should remain strong.  Let’s face it, folks still have to eat. I know some folks are laying off the most expensive cuts of meat in favor of Kraft Dinner but the main product I haul, potatoes, is a staple commodity and seems in more demand than ever.

So folks keep buying those french fries, potato salad, baked potatoes, and mashed. My bank manager and truck financier are as grateful as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment